This would happen, for instance, when a child is always being unfairly blamed for everything, or told they are stupid and made to feel unhappy.
What is emotional abuse?
Some examples of emotional abuse are when someone:
- calls you names
- keeps shouting at you, even if you haven't done anything wrong
- puts you down
- ignores you or leaves you out of things
- says or does things that make you feel bad about yourself
- makes you feel like you don’t belong
- makes you take responsibility for things you shouldn’t have to do until you’re older
- treats you differently from your brothers or sisters
- puts you in dangerous situations
- is aggressive and violent to other people in your family and you seeing this happening
- stops you from having friends.
- You don’t have to put up with it.
- No-one has the right to make you feel bad.
- It’s never your fault when someone is emotionally abusive to you.
- Child trafficking is when young people are tricked, forced or persuaded to leave their homes and are moved and then exploited, forced to work or sold.