Instagram is a mobile based photo-sharing app which allows users to share pictures and videos either publicly or privately.
Just like other social networks, you can interact with other users on Instagram by following them, commenting on their posts, liking their posts, tagging and private messaging. Keep in mind that when your profile is created and set to public, anyone can find and view your profile, along with all your photos and videos.
IMPORTANT! Your Instagram bio is always public even if your profile is set to private.
Key things to be aware of
- Instagram rules require you to be 13 or older to use their site.
- Photos and videos are shared publically by default when creating an Instagram account.
- If a child in your care has an Instagram account, ask them whether it is private.
- You can add location tags to all posts but this must be switched on manually. We don't recommend the use of location tags for images of your home, school, friend’s houses or places you frequently visit.
- Instagram Direct allows you to chat, share a photo or video with selected friends rather than all your followers.
- Facebook is one of the world’s largest social media platforms, with over 2.27 billion active monthly users. Facebook allows individuals to create profiles, upload photos and videos, connect with family and friends and share content from elsewhere on the web.