Each Safeguarding Panel will be made up of the Core SBNI Membership agencies represented on the Board, with the following roles/people:
- A Independently Selected Chair;
- From the local Health and Social Service Trust:
- An Assistant Director of Children’s Services;
- A Named Doctor for Safeguarding Children;
- A Named Nurse for Safeguarding Children;
- An Assistant Director for Mental Health Services;
- Superintendent from the Police Service of Northern Ireland;
- An Area Manager from the Probation Board for Northern Ireland;
- An Assistant Director from the Youth Justice Agency;
- A manager from an Education and Library Board;
- At least one but no more than two managers from a District Council;
- A manager from the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children;
- At least three but no more than five persons from voluntary and community organisations;
- A member of a Local Medical Committee of the British Medical Association who practices within the area of Safeguarding.
Panels can seek to add to their membership by seeking written approval from the SBNI.
I recently retired as a Nurse Consultant with the Public Health Agency, promoting the agenda for children across Northern Ireland while liaising and working closely with colleagues at a local, regional and national level to address issues relating to universal services. In addition to professional qualifications, I hold a Master's degree in Public Administration from the University of Ulster, Jordanstown.
I have 43 years of experience working within Health and Social Care with 29 of these as a health visitor, a manager and named nurse for safeguarding children. My early career experience was as a nurse and midwife.
I am the Independent Chair of two Safeguarding Panels: Southern and South Eastern Trusts.
I am a qualified social worker (Queen’s University Belfast, Master of Social Work, 1982) with 35 years’ experience. The vast majority of my career was spent within the justice system, initially with Probation Board and latterly, with Youth Justice Agency. My experience, both as a practitioner and as a manager, taught me the absolute necessity and the benefits of interagency cooperation / coordination and of engaging actively with stakeholders and communities.
I am delighted to have the opportunity to be instrumental within Safeguarding Board NI, alongside my other complementary involvement in Restorative Practices, Prisons and the Prevention of Sexual Abuse.
This section of the website is under construction.