This would happen, for instance, when a child is always being unfairly blamed for everything, or told they are stupid and made to feel unhappy.
What is emotional abuse?
Some examples of emotional abuse are when someone:
- Calls you names
- Keeps shouting at you, even if you haven't done anything wrong
- Puts you down
- Ignores you or leaves you out of things
- Says or does things that make you feel bad about yourself
- Makes you feel like you don’t belong
- Makes you take responsibility for things you shouldn’t have to do until you’re older
- Treats you differently from your brothers or sisters
- Puts you in dangerous situations
- Is aggressive and violent to other people in your family and you seeing this happening
- Stops you from having friends.
- You don’t have to put up with it.
- No-one has the right to make you feel bad.
- It’s never your fault when someone is emotionally abusive to you.