The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) has a dedicated section to help with sexual crime and domestic violence.
The Public Protection Branch (PPB)
The Public Protection Branch (PPB) is the section of the PSNI which deals with sexual crime and domestic abuse. It consists of 5 specialised teams:
- Child Abuse Investigation Team
- Domestic Abuse and Adult Safeguarding
- Rape Crime Unit
- Child Internet Protection team
- Offender Management Unit
All officers are trained to deal with personal and traumatic crimes and will, therefore, deal with the investigation sensitively.
The Public Protection Branch works closely with other agencies such as Health & Social Services to ensure children and adults are safeguarded against harm.
Public Protection Branch align themselves with each Health and Social Care Trust:
- Northern PPB – based in Ballymena
- Southern PPB – based in Portadown
- South Eastern PPB – based in Newtownards
- Belfast PPB – based in Belfast
- Western PPB - based in Omagh and Derry/Londonderry