The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) has a dedicated section to help with sexual crime and domestic violence.
The Public Protection Branch (PPB)
The Public Protection Branch (PPB) is the section of the PSNI which deals with sexual crime and domestic abuse. It consists of 5 specialised teams:
- Child Abuse Investigation Team
- Domestic Abuse and Adult Safeguarding
- Rape Crime Unit
- Child Internet Protection team
- Offender Management Unit
All officers are trained to deal with personal and traumatic crimes and will, therefore, deal with the investigation sensitively.
The Public Protection Branch works closely with other agencies such as Health & Social Services to ensure children and adults are safeguarded against harm.
Public Protection Branch align themselves with each Health and Social Care Trust:
- Northern PPB – based in Ballymena
- Southern PPB – based in Portadown
- South Eastern PPB – based in Newtownards
- Belfast PPB – based in Belfast
- Western PPB - based in Omagh and Derry/Londonderry
- The SBNI is dedicated to the effective sharing of relevant information. This will include information regarding multi-agency training, lessons learned from Case Management Reviews, the dissemination of Safeguarding policies and procedures and additional useful resources.
- As a parent, carer, neighbour, teacher or anyone in contact with children and families you may at times have concerns about the welfare of a child. These could be concerns about their development, appearance or behaviour which may indicate signs of abuse.
- We undertake our aims and objectives through a series of Panels and Sub-groups on areas like Child protection, Child Sexual Exploitation, Domestic abuse, Neglect and e-safety. We also have five local area safeguarding panels co-terminus with the five trust boundaries, and a case management review panel.
- CSE is a form of child sexual abuse. It can happen to children and teenagers, male and female, and from any background. It happens when the child or young person is exploited, coerced or manipulated into engaging in sexual activity in return for something they need or desire and/or for the gain of a third person.